Thursday, August 8, 2013

this time of year

We are now entering the absolute BEST time of year for food. August through October is my favorite! The tomatoes are ripe and juicy, (well, not mine....still waiting on that), fresh berries are for sale everywhere you look, there is an abundance of summer squash and zucchini, and we'll soon have all kinds of new fall squash to eat. Oh.......and PEACHES! I had my first Utah peach this week and savored every moment of sticky juice dripping down my chin.

I love that with just a few fresh ingredients you can have the perfect meal or snack. 
I'm a big fan of Caprese salads.....and decided to mix it up a bit this time by adding zucchini and roasting the veggies. 
www.inthelittleredhouse.blogspot.comwww.inthelittleredhouse.blogspot.comwww.inthelittleredhouse.blogspot.com
Roasted Caprese Salad
3 large handfuls of cherry tomatoes, halved
1 zucchini, thinly sliced
2 handfuls of mozzarella (I buy the fresh logs of mozzarella and dice it for this recipe)
finely chopped basil leaves
olive oil
balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 450°
Toss tomatoes and zucchini in olive oil and salt and pepper.
Spread out on a baking sheet and roast for about 20 minutes
Combine roasted veggies with cheese, basil, and a splash of balsamic vinegar. 
enjoy!
www.inthelittleredhouse.blogspot.com
Variations: 
-Add any kind of squash into the mix
-sprinkle goat cheese on top
-toast a slice of sour dough and make an open face sandwich
-add to cooked pasta with an extra drizzle of olive oil and balsamic for a quick easy main dish


and what's for dessert?
Yogurt with pure maple syrup, peaches, raspberries and blueberries......yum.
www.inthelittleredhouse.blogspot.com

What are your favorite summer foods right now?

more ways to eat zucchini HERE
homemade yogurt HERE

3 comments:

likeschocolate said...

Yum! You have me drooling!

Eleanor said...

Hands down, tomatoes.
I have been living on tomato sandwiches all week. There is seriously nothing better!

Stephanie said...

Hello- I am a long time reader and good friend of Melissa Peterson- found you through her. I just wanted to say hi and that tonight I have been scrolling through your pictures before bed feeling uplifted and inspired to eat better and have more adventures! If you're ever in Hawaii you have a place to stay with my family. Keep being wonderful! :)